11. But the best thing about IKEA is that there’s a system behind the products’ names.
Sofas, coffee tables, bookshelves, media storage units, and doorknobs are named after Swedish places.
Like this Ektorp.
And dining tables and chairs are named after places in Finland.
Like this Lovas.
Click here to uncover the rest of the world’s best naming system.
12. Ikea was the first company to feature a gay relationship in an advert, back in 1994.
14. There’s a Tumblr dedicated to identifying Ikea furniture in porn.
Click here to see it.
15. And its photo frame photo is of a cat wearing glasses.
16. Some people use Ikea to do difficult economics.
In 2009, Bloomberg’s Kristian Siedenburg used IKEA’s popular Billy bookshelf to compare prices across the globe.
17. Others use it to cook.
IKEA’s cookbook, Hembakat är Bäst (“Homemade is Best”), is the best.
18. But most people use Ikea for its beds. Beds in which one-fifth of British kids are conceived every single year.
19. Ikea is so good that it has a retrospective history museum in Älmhult.
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›