- snailbean "Finding An '80s Taiwan In "On Suc..."
- snailbean "23 Dads Dancing"
Response to Can You Accurately Classify Fruits And Veggies?:
Aw man a strawberry is nothing like a pepo! Pepoes are characteristic of the Cucurbitae; strawberries are 1. a fleshy receptacle (the red part) with 2. Lots of tiny fruits, called achenes (the “seeds”).
- snailbean "19 Times "A Hard Day's Night..."
- snailbean "26 Unexpected Places To Find Satan"
- snailbean "Inside China's Insane Witch Hunt ..."
- snailbean "The Fine Art Of Mixtape Seduction"
- snailbean "Stop What You're Doing And Look A..."
- snailbean "If Stevie Nicks Ran A Weather Forecast"
I’m so, so excited for this book. John’s first book, Master of Reality (about the Sabbath album), is also awesome— he reads an excerpt here. http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=88696059&m=88685399.
(“like a big angry baby of evil destruction” is a feeling I thank John for giving me words for.)
Vic Chesnutt! He was an Athens-based singer-songwriter in the 90s-00s. His songs were dark and goofy and idiosyncratic, and what gets me is his obvious glee in using language— wordplay/catachresis, but also this totally peerless playfulness in pronunciation and meter. (He sometimes sounds like a drunk cartoon squirrel, or maybe rooster? But will break your heart anyway). Some of his best are “Lucinda Williams”, “Onion Soup”, “Supernatural”, and “Bilocating Dog”. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66uOp83kvgQ
Response to What Does Your Morning Alarm Sound Like?:
Oasis, ‘Supersonic’— the massive ego of it vs. my inchoate AM personhood is silly + good.