Humour is a highly personal, deeply subjective matter. What we find funny hinges on a complex equation of personality, experience, and mood.
Except when it comes to seeing someone fall over. Everyone, from every time and place in human history, enjoys that.
No doubt cavemen grunted with laughter when one of them tripped on a diplodocus egg, Ancient Romans sniggered when someone went over on their tunic, and the Tudors were guffawing whenever anyone skidded on a rotten apple.
Playwrights and cinema stars — like Mr. Chaplin, above — have always understood that slapstick is the surest way to unite a crowd.
The Germans call it ‘schadenfreude’. Psychologists call it the ‘social comparison theory’. But what it boils down to is this: when other people have the misfortune of eating pavement, you feel better about yourself and better about the world around you. Here are some of the best things about it.
8. Or just when you’re mildy distracted by a giant panda on the street.
10. It happens to beautiful people.
18. Annoying drunks.
(We’re pretty sure this guy survived.)
20. Or just anyone with a spring in their step after having a good day.
21. Basically, taking an unexpected trip unites us all. Even animals.
23. So let’s embrace the undeniable beauty of the face plant.
24. As a celebration of the fundamental ludicrousness of human life.
25. Just remember, when it happens to you (and it will), walk it off with a smile.
- President Obama is one vote away from sealing a historic nuclear deal with Iran after two Democratic senators backed the agreement. ›
- The fingerprints of the main suspect behind last month's deadly Bangkok shrine blast match those found on bomb-making material, Thai police say. ›
- Missouri executed Roderick Nunley Tuesday night for a 1989 rape and murder. It was the state's sixth execution this year, and the nation's 20th. ›