1. British author and broadcaster Alex Bellos has revealed how we’ve been wrong when cutting cake until now.
2. This is the way most people cut into a cake and serve it to their friends and family.
3. Which is great, but it means that unless you eat the whole cake in one sitting, the exposed cake is dry and hard when you come to eat it later.
4. Using an article published in Nature magazine back in 1906, Bellos reveals this is the way you should actually cut your cake if you want it to stay fresh.
5. By cutting slices out the middle, it means you can push the remaining sections back together to preserve the cake.
6. Bellos even suggests holding it in place with rubber bands.
7. So now you know.
- At least three police officers in Colorado Springs were injured in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic, officials said. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›