1. British author and broadcaster Alex Bellos has revealed how we’ve been wrong when cutting cake until now.
2. This is the way most people cut into a cake and serve it to their friends and family.
3. Which is great, but it means that unless you eat the whole cake in one sitting, the exposed cake is dry and hard when you come to eat it later.
4. Using an article published in Nature magazine back in 1906, Bellos reveals this is the way you should actually cut your cake if you want it to stay fresh.
5. By cutting slices out the middle, it means you can push the remaining sections back together to preserve the cake.
7. So now you know.
Richard James is the UK news editor for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
In The News Today
- Austria and Germany will allow people seeking refuge from the war in Syria who are currently in Hungary to come to their countries. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses today, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›