1. Doctors in India removed over 230 teeth from teenager Ashik Gavai’s mouth on Monday.
He had gone into hospital after complaining about a painful swelling in the right side of his jaw.
The teenager apparently first noticed the issue some 18 months ago but doctors in his village, which is part of the Buldhana district in Amravati, were unable to diagnose the problem.
2. Gavai eventually travelled to Mumbai’s JJ Hospital, where surgeons carried out a seven-hour operation after discovering the cause of his discomfort.
Dr Sunanda Dhiware told the BBC: “Ashik’s malaise was diagnosed as a complex composite odontoma where a single gum forms lots of teeth. It’s a sort of benign tumour.”
3. “At first, we couldn’t cut it out so we had to use the basic chisel and hammer to take it out.
“Once we opened it, little pearl-like teeth started coming out, one by one. Initially, we were collecting them, they were really like small white pearls. But then we started to get tired. We counted 232 teeth.”
4. Surgeons revealed afterwards that Gavai now has just 28 teeth. Once he recovers caps will be inserted to replace the removed teeth.
The teenager’s family has been told he will require regular check-ups to make sure the condition does not return.
- Protesters gathered in Chicago Tuesday night after city officials released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›