1. Doctors in India removed over 230 teeth from teenager Ashik Gavai’s mouth on Monday.
He had gone into hospital after complaining about a painful swelling in the right side of his jaw.
The teenager apparently first noticed the issue some 18 months ago but doctors in his village, which is part of the Buldhana district in Amravati, were unable to diagnose the problem.
2. Gavai eventually travelled to Mumbai’s JJ Hospital, where surgeons carried out a seven-hour operation after discovering the cause of his discomfort.
Dr Sunanda Dhiware told the BBC: “Ashik’s malaise was diagnosed as a complex composite odontoma where a single gum forms lots of teeth. It’s a sort of benign tumour.”
3. “At first, we couldn’t cut it out so we had to use the basic chisel and hammer to take it out.
“Once we opened it, little pearl-like teeth started coming out, one by one. Initially, we were collecting them, they were really like small white pearls. But then we started to get tired. We counted 232 teeth.”
4. Surgeons revealed afterwards that Gavai now has just 28 teeth. Once he recovers caps will be inserted to replace the removed teeth.
The teenager’s family has been told he will require regular check-ups to make sure the condition does not return.
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›