1. Gary Turk became an internet superstar last month when his “Look Up” video, advising people to stop spending their lives on their mobile phones and social media, was watched over 35 million times.
2. Reaction to the clip was somewhat mixed.
Huge numbers of people found it inspirational and an important message in today’s technology-obsessed society, while others thought Turk needed to lighten up slightly and embrace the wonders of the 21st Century.
3. So inevitably a parody, entitled “Look Down”, has now emerged.
The clip, created by YouTube users Spencer Owen and Alex Osipczak, mocks Turk’s offering and begins: “Look up, look up, I’m scared of technology… but obviously if you like my video, go on Twitter and follow me.”
4. Having namechecked Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Tinder, the clip ends: “Look down to your phones, take the easy way out, life’s different now, there’s no need to go out.”
Speaking to Metro.co.uk, Osipczak said: “We made the video because we really liked Gary’s video but felt there’s a middle-ground between abandoning technology and embracing it.
“Obviously our video is a satirical exaggeration but we felt the technophiles of today might want to see a response to Gary’s poem.”
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›