1. Wildlife photographer Marc Mol captured the extraordinary moment around 140 crocodiles stood down a herd of hippos.
Mol took the pictures during a microlight flight over the Luangwa River in Zambia’s South Luangwa National Park.
The pictures appear to have been taken in November 2011 but were uploaded online on Monday.
2. The pictures show a dead hippo on the edge of the river surrounded by the crocodiles.
3. The herd of hippos appears to consider approaching the scene before backing away.
4. “I was up in a helicopter above the river in the early hours of the morning and my pilot John Coppinger and I saw around 100 crocodiles feasting on a dead hippo,” Mol said.
5. “The hot weather was relentless but it was likely this hippo died from anthrax which lies dormant for many years but can get stirred up if the dry season is an extended one.”
6. “What I did find that was most interesting was that the crocodiles appeared to be the only animals that were concerned with the microlight flying overhead.
7. “It was a thrilling and amazing experience, one that I’ll never forget.”
- Shannon Miles, who is suspected of ambushing and killing a Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy, was arrested Saturday and charged with capital murder. ›