1. Wildlife photographer Marc Mol captured the extraordinary moment around 140 crocodiles stood down a herd of hippos.
Mol took the pictures during a microlight flight over the Luangwa River in Zambia’s South Luangwa National Park.
The pictures appear to have been taken in November 2011 but were uploaded online on Monday.
2. The pictures show a dead hippo on the edge of the river surrounded by the crocodiles.
3. The herd of hippos appears to consider approaching the scene before backing away.
4. “I was up in a helicopter above the river in the early hours of the morning and my pilot John Coppinger and I saw around 100 crocodiles feasting on a dead hippo,” Mol said.
5. “The hot weather was relentless but it was likely this hippo died from anthrax which lies dormant for many years but can get stirred up if the dry season is an extended one.”
6. “What I did find that was most interesting was that the crocodiles appeared to be the only animals that were concerned with the microlight flying overhead.
7. “It was a thrilling and amazing experience, one that I’ll never forget.”
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- Puerto Rico has failed to make a $58 million debt payment, and credit rating agency Moody's says the U.S. territory is in default.
- The death penalty should still be considered for Colorado theater shooter James Holmes, a jury decided.