1. BBC Radio 2 DJ Sara Cox has hit out at U.S. rapper Pitbull, claiming the way he sings about women “makes my soul weep”.
2. Pitbull has received criticism in the past over the way women are depicted in his songs and music videos.
Despite the backlash, the rapper, real name Armando Perez, has sold millions of albums worldwide.
3. Cox, who presented Radio 1’s flagship Breakfast Show from 2000 to 2003, recently joined Radio 2 and was asked in a interview by Radio Times which station she preferred.
4. The 39-year-old replied:
I love the music at both but there will always be the odd song that isn’t for me.
Someone like Pitbull on Radio 1 makes my soul weep with the way he sings about women.
I just couldn’t bear playing that.
5. At present, Pitbull is not on Radio 1’s playlist.
And a BBC spokesperson is quoted by the Independent as saying: “Each track is considered for the playlist based on its musical merit and whether it is right for our young audience, with decisions made on a case-by-case basis.”
BuzzFeed has reached out the broadcaster for a comment.
6. Cox also revealed she can no longer watch Channel 4’s reality dining show Come Dine With Me with her daughter as it has become a bit too racy.
7. “I used to watch Come Dine With Me with my daughter Lola, who’s nine,” she said.
“But I can’t any more because they’ve always got strippers on or someone with their cleavage out.
“It’s a shame, because it used to have a real innocence to it.”