1. A British teenager and her boyfriend are suspected of shooting a U.S. policeman dead in Florida before killing themselves, police have said.
Alex Hollinghurst, 17, and Brandon Goode, 18, were found dead Saturday after officer Robert German was reportedly shot dead nearby by a man and a woman.
Sheriff Jerry Demings, from the Orange County sheriff’s office, said German had stopped Hollinghurst and her American boyfriend as they were walking through the town of Windermere, near Orlando, in the early hours of Saturday.
He apparently called for backup but when officers arrived they found the 31-year-old had been shot.
Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Jane Watrel said at the same time German was discovered shots were heard in the area.
Officers guarded German from further gunfire before rushing him to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
2. Hollinghurst, originally from Oldham, Greater Manchester, and Goode were later found dead in brush around a block from where the police officer was found.
Demings said at the weekend: “It appears they likely committed suicide.”
Windermere mayor Gary Bruhn is quoted by the Orlando Sentinel as saying: “There is a sadness throughout Windermere right now, not just at the police department and town offices, but at the stores, businesses and homes.
“Officer German was well-known and well-liked… one of those men who would take the time to stop and talk to people, and that’s one of the reasons he said he liked working in Windermere, because he could do just that.”
- At least 30 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›