1. On Tuesday, Team USA goalkeeper Tim Howard put in a heroic performance during his side’s 2-1 defeat to Belgium at the World Cup.
2. Howard made a record-breaking number of saves during the match, which was eventually decided in extra time.
3. The internet declared Howard the saviour of mankind and his name trended for hours.
6. Now U.S. president Barack Obama has taken the time to praise Howard and his captain Clint Dempsey.
7. The White House released video of Obama making the call.
During the short conversation, the president told the pair they had done their nation proud and said the 2014 World Cup in Brazil was the first time a U.S. team had had the “entire country focused”.
8. Obama told the players:
Clint you were fantastic…
Tim, I think, I don’t know how you are going to survive the mobs when you come back home man.
You are going to have to shave your beard so they don’t know who you are.
9. The president also told Howard and Depsey they had carried themselves with “a lot of class”.
“You guys are really great models for a lot of sportsmen here in the States.”
10. Thousands of people have now signed a White House petition calling for Washington National Airport to be renamed Tim Howard National Airport in honour of his efforts at the World Cup.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- One person was killed and two others were seriously injured Friday when an air medical transport helicopter crashed in Colorado.