1. Angie, a professional photographer and avid Instagram user with a 4-year-old nicknamed Mayhem, discovered her daughter would much rather create dresses than play in store-bought ones.
Angie suggested they make a dress out of paper, and the two have been making them almost daily for months ever since.
2. Now the two often re-create awards show dresses or character costumes out of items like construction paper, feathers, aluminum foil, tissue paper, gift wrap, and plenty of glue and tape.
A re-creation of Kimberly Perry from The Band Perry’s CMA Awards dress.
3. And Mayhem is just as hands-on as her creative mama: Angie said they split the work 50/50.
The Ralph Lauren dress Lupita Nyong’o wore to the Golden Globes.
4. “Mayhem constructs a lot more than most people would probably believe. That’s one of the best things about this project, I see her learning new skills every single day,” Angie told the blog Mommy Shorts.
Snow White, “nerd edition.”
5. Oddly enough, Angie said she doesn’t consider herself “to be the least bit crafty.”
“Cutting and taping paper is about all we do,” she said. “And the most ironic part of this whole project is that I am literally the least fashionable person you will ever meet. In reality, I know nothing about fashion and cannot sew a straight line to save my life. A friend suggested I could start sewing these creations from scraps of fabric and I laughed at her. I’ll take paper and tape any day over getting anywhere near a sewing machine!”
6. “I knew you were trouble when you asked to google image search Taylor Swift dresses,” Angie wrote.
7. And, of course, Frozen: “Anna dress with Elsa hair please,” Mayhem requested.
9. “She’s been obsessed with the ‘Lalympics,’” Angie wrote about this “ice slider’s outfit.”
10. A shark dress inspired by the aquarium.
11. A Wreck-It Ralph dress: “Princess Vanellope, Mom! And don’t forget the wand!”
12. A dress à la The Incredibles: “Force field! You can’t touch me, Mom!”
13. And then Mayhem discovered Project Runway.
“This morning I finally told her that there is actually a show on TV all about making dresses,” Angie wrote. “Then we did a google image search for ‘project runway dresses’ and after she stopped hyperventilating she insisted we make this one.”
14. Jay McCarroll’s big fashion week dress from Project Runway:
15. This was the first dress Mayhem constructed entirely by herself. “There’s a lot of pride in this image,” Angie wrote.
16. And they only got better (and more adorable!).
17. A Minnie Mayhem original.
18. It’s been nine months, and Mayhem’s interest in making kooky paper dresses hasn’t waned a bit.
“All white today,” Mayhem requested. “And a fabulous headpiece too.”