1. Terry Shipman, a 65-year-old Twitter user from Beaumont, Texas, is slowly making his way to getting more retweets than Ellen DeGeneres’ famous Oscar selfie heard round the world.
3. Shipman told BuzzFeed the selfie was just him “having fun with my son.”
“I got home early, my wife wasn’t home yet, so I said, well I’ll try to take a selfie of me and the dogs and I’ll tweet it to my son.”
Shipman’s 18-year-old son J. Michael and his friend started retweeting the picture — and it started to pick up online.
5. Although two days ago Terry had just 20 followers, the tweet has gotten more than 50,000 retweets as of 10:15 a.m. ET this morning.
They first noticed it picking up steam around 7:30 p.m. last night, when Shipman’s daughter Laura Jane called and said, “Dad, you’ve got over 900 retweets!”
“I wasn’t too amazed and said, ‘Is that a big deal?’” Shipman admitted.
About an hour later, the tweet had over 3,000. Shipman said he still wasn’t very impressed, but accepted that it was out of the ordinary.
If he could’ve guessed, the engineer says he would’ve expected the tweet to get about a dozen retweets at the most.
“My phone is just going berzerk,” Shipman said, adding that now that it’s going viral he still has faith they might be able to break Ellen’s record — but that he knows it’s a long shot.
“We’ve got a long ways to go,” he said.
7. And he even started getting some celebrity attention, starting with Sports Illustrated model Chrissy Teigen cheering him on.
- Donald Trump has pledged to support the eventual Republican presidential nominee in 2016 and not mount a 3rd-party run. ›