1. Mini Wooden Speaker
This adorable little speaker is perfect for amplifying the music on your iPod, iPhone, or whatever other portable device you own. It’s available for $32 from Uncommon Goods.
2. Wobble Dubstep Grime Generator
You can make your own customized dubstep with this program, which promises to “make the most crazy, pulsating, and different sounds ever to grace your speaker’s soon to be aching cones.” If you get this on Christmas Day, you might pick it up fast enough to drop the bass on New Year’s Eve. You can buy it for $149.99 from SONiVOX.
3. Three-Tier Vinyl Record Cupcake Stand
You can buy this from an Etsy shop based in Australia for $35.
4. “Rap Music Makes Me Feel Invincible” T-Shirt
You can buy this for $24 from Print Liberation’s online store.
5. One Direction Dolls
Dolls for each member of the band are available for $29.99 each from Hasbro, but let’s be real, you want to buy a Harry doll, so just be done with it.
6. The Wanted Dolls
There are dolls for The Wanted too, if you prefer them. They’re a little less expensive, also — $24.99 from The Wanted’s website.
7. Handmade Synthesizers
These DIY synthesizer kits were created by Bleep Labs in Austin, Texas. The prices range from around $50 to $300, and you can order them from their online store.
8. Art Prints by Concepcion Studios
Here’s a David Bowie “Ziggy Stardust” design…
…and one for The Beatles…
…and here’s a Johnny Cash poster. They’re $25 each from the Concepcion Studios store on Etsy.
9. Crosley Cruiser Portable Turntable
These cute portable turntables come in a variety of colors, including pink, green, orange, and blue. You can buy one for $99.99 from Always Fits.
10. “N****s in Paris” T-Shirt
This is only $11.95 from Kustom Tees on Etsy.
11. Here’s another “N****s in Paris” option…
…a set of fine art prints of quotes from the song for $35, from ElloThere on Etsy.
12. DIY Guitar Pick Punch
Turn your expired credit cards into picks for $24.99, from ThinkGeek.
13. “Song Reader” by Beck
Beck’s new album is actually a book of sheet music. The 20 songs in this book have never been recorded, so it’s up to other musicians to determine how they should sound. You can buy it for $34 from McSweeney’s.
14. David Bowie Eye Test Chart
This is available from the WastedAndWounded shop on Etsy for $65.
15. Apothecary Cabinet for CDs
This drawer, $199.99 from Red Rooster Bed and Breakfast Folk Art on Etsy, is ideal for someone who wants to keep their old CDs, but not necessarily out in the open.
16. “Britney Spears Changed My Life” T-Shirt
Designed by Ice Cream Tees. You can buy it for $14.50 on Etsy.
17. Headphone Earmuffs
These are good for either fooling people into believing that you have headphones on, or for wearing over your headphones. They’re very cute, and you can buy them for $20 from HustleAndSewShop on Etsy.
18. “How Music Works” by David Byrne
David Byrne’s new book is a collection of essays in which he reflects on the history of music, recorded sound, musicians’ relationship with their audience, and the economics of the music industry. It sounds very dry, but Byrne’s wry sense of humor and oddball perspective makes it all very lively. You can buy it for $28 from McSweeney’s.
19. Psy Earrings
“Gangnam Style,” taken very literally. These homemade earrings are $13 from GimmeSwords on Etsy.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›