1. Listen to a riveting audiobook while you exercise, and tell yourself you can only listen WHILE exercising.
You’ll want to keep going just to find out what happens next.
3. Download the Fitocracy app and gamify your workouts.
Fitocracy is an online social community that provides “leveling up” challenges to fire up your inner competitive streak.
4. The right workout clothes matter.
You’ll feel so much more firm and streamlined in your body-hugging workout clothes that you’ll actually enjoy putting them on.
5. An app like Jog.fm will play music from your library to match your pace.
There are also “speed” buttons if you want to go faster.
6. For the first month, make a schedule and stick to it.
The first month is crucial to sticking with it because it’s the hardest. So clear your schedule and don’t flake out on yourself. Once you start to build strength and endurance, you’ll see results. That will be enough motivation to keep going.
7. Start exercising by running for just one minute. Add another minute each day.
So you’re an absolute beginner. With this method, you’ll be running for a full 30 minutes by the end of the month.
8. Improve your ability to run by talking while running.
It regulates your breath, ensures that you’re not overexerting yourself, and keeps your mind off the pain you’re enduring.
9. Employ an activity monitor to help you challenge yourself.
The Nike Fuelband and the FitBit can run upwards of $100, but they can be well worth it if they actually motivate you to exercise. Each day, you’ll want to challenge yourself to reach your set goal. As an added bonus, the FitBit also monitors your sleep patterns.
10. Pick a television drinking game, but instead of drinking, get up and do 10 push-ups or 20 lunges.
Like, every time Olivia Pope’s eyes well up with tears on Scandal.
11. Make your playlists as long as you plan to exercise to keep you from constantly glancing at the timer.
The less you think about how much time is left, the more likely it will just fly by.
12. If you hate most top 40, there ARE indie workout playlists.
Workout music can be tough if you have even slightly discerning music tastes.
Try Indiesouprunner for downloadable playlists that feature danceable indie songs you won’t hear in a spin class. Or swap workout playlists with a friend.
13. Always keep a gym bag in your car or at work, even if you weren’t planning to work out.
A good gym bag should include a workout outfit, appropriate shoes, headphones, backup MP3 player, a bottle of water, deodorant, and face wipes. Also possibly donuts. Definitely donuts.
14. If you’re an early-morning exerciser, go to sleep in your workout clothes.
You’ll waste no time in the morning!
15. Add frozen fruit to your water bottle.
It’ll keep it cold and add a little flavor.
16. About to go running but worried it might rain?
Don’t let that stop you! At least your smartphone will be protected with a coat of plastic wrap. The touchscreen functionality will still work.
17. Take up drumming.
Playing the drums provides a seriously fun and sweaty workout. If you hate sports or general gym activities, find an activity you enjoy that involves some sort of movement like biking to work or dancing to Robyn songs.
18. Find something simple and easy you can do while watching television.
Viable activities include: Hula-Hooping, jumping rope, doing the Running Man, or simply alternating standing on each leg and picking up some arm weights.
19. Try a workout video from the ’80s or ’90s.
Many of them, like this Alyssa Milano gem, are available on YouTube and feature sweet retro dance moves and really good music. Another one of my favorites is the quintessentially ’90s Cindy Crawford workout. The music selection is superb.
20. Play video games while you’re on the exercise bike.
As gameplay gets more intense, you’ll find yourself pedaling faster.
21. Wear a weighted vest while running errands.
A weighted vest can help you burn calories while doing normal activities like walking to work or buying groceries. Here’s one that’s thin enough to wear under your regular clothes.
22. Before checking your email or heading to the kitchen for a snack, force yourself to do some sit-ups and push-ups.
Every little bit counts.
23. Don’t join a gym. Pay yourself every time you exercise.
Buy yourself something nice at the end of every six months.
We've got your WKND covered.
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.