1. A cute way to separate students into groups: Hershey’s Kisses and colored dots.
Kids who get the same colored dots get grouped together.
3. Use the Remind101 app to communicate with kids and their parents without having to exchange numbers.
Get it here.
4. Make your student a reminder bracelet when you really want them to remember something.
5. Use a straw dispenser for pencils.
This way, the picky kids don’t rifle through the pencil bin trying to find the “perfect” one.
6. Make a four-pocket folder by combining a folder with brads with a plain two-pocket folder.
More pockets for more subjects! Get the directions here.
7. Use binder clips instead of stickers to organize shelves.
This way you can swap categories out easily for reorganization.
8. Glue a pom-pom on the end of a dry-erase marker to create a makeshift eraser.
13. For less mess, place the paint and brushes in Starbucks cups.
14. Make extra cubby holes by zip-tying plastic crates together.
15. Use outdoor mounting tape for heavy things like bulletin boards.
It’s super, super strong.
17. Felt chair footies keep floors from marking the floor and making too much noise.
All you need is felt and rubber bands. Get the directions here.
18. Instead of messy bottles of glue, make a glue sponge.
The students can just dab their shapes onto the sponge. It’ll keep for a really long time, as long as you spritz it with water and flip the sponge over every so often. Get more directions here.
19. Use painter’s tape on a dry erase board for kids to practice their handwriting.
The painter’s tape doesn’t leave a residue.
20. Vinyl cutouts on tables can be written on with dry erase markers.
21. Instead of giving students bathroom passes, place a tag on their desk when they leave to go to the bathroom.
This way, you can keep track of who’s out and the students aren’t spreading germs with grimy bathroom passes.
You could also do this with a bottle of hand sanitizer so you know they have clean hands after using the bathroom. And don’t forget to tie a rubber band around the neck so you get child-sized squirts every time.
22. Use bathmats to establish personal space during reading time.
23. Watch this tutorial on how to print on post-it notes to use for labeling.
24. Make a physical activity cube for restless kids.
Get the directions here.
- Three major U.S. airlines — Delta, American, and United — have banned the transport of big game trophies after the illegal killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.
- On August 4th, 2011, the death of Mark Duggan — an unarmed black man — at the hands of police officers in north London sparked nationwide riots.
- Two people were killed and at least 22 injured after a circus tent collapsed amid stormy weather Monday evening in New Hampshire.