1. These girls – Ella, Tylah, Ellie, and Jordan – paid £600 to arrive at their school prom in a horse-drawn carriage.
The 16-year-olds have just left the Manor Academy near Mansfield, the subject of a Channel 5 documentary being shown on 21 August which investigates the rise of US-style proms for school leavers here in the UK.
2. The carriage is similar to that used by Katie Price, aka Jordan, in her wedding to Peter Andre.
This almost seems low-key compared to the students in Worthing, Sussex, who arrived at their prom via helicoptor.
3. Some students arrived at their prom in a stretch limo.
4. Some were perhaps more understated than others.
5. Others found ways to make ordinary tractor trailers look glamorous.
6. Some people preferred to turn up in a yellow New York City taxi.
7. The show centres on Shannon Collingham (fourth from the right), seen here with her friend Chloe and some accompanying boys.
Collingham says during the show: “I’d hate to be described as a tramp or tacky – I wouldn’t want to be called a chav. I’m just a glamorous girl – Princess Shannon.”
8. Elsie Turner and her date, Jarod Clipson, also feature in the programme.
9. As you would expect, there are a LOT of selfies.
10. The programme makers say that £30 million is spent every year on proms in the UK, as companies increasingly tailor clothes and venues towards the prom market.
Watch Prom Queen Divas UK on Channel 5 this Thursday, which incidentally is when 16-year-olds get their GCSE results.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›