1. When Babylon Zoo adorned the cover of pop bible Smash Hits.
3. When the New York Times turned Hilary Clinton into an unsettling fleshy planet.
4. When weekly heavy metal mag Kerrang! put Phil Collins on its front page.
5. When NME put decathlon hero Daley Thompson on the front — vying for space with features on The Fall and Ozzy Osbourne.
8. And, of course, not forgetting the time Gary Glitter visited Stonehenge with the KLF.
9. When Blind Melon got naked on the cover of Rolling Stone for reasons that remain unclear.
11. When X Files star David Duchovny posed in his boxers for Playgirl.
12. When TV chef Rachael Ray was inspired to cook her family and her dog.
14. This Christian Research Journal cover.
18. Anything from Girls and Corpses (slightly NSFW).
Patrick Smith is the UK media editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
In The News Today