5. “Despite a remarkably intensive level of research…overall losses continue to be high and pose a serious threat” - USDA, Colony Collapse Disorder
That buzzing noise in the air isn’t from the bees: farmers, politicians, scientists, and people across the world are reeling from the recent spread of “Colony Collapse Disorder” (CCD). Due to a wide range of reasons, none conclusive, bees are dying in large numbers and greatly reducing the potential pollination vital to crop growth. Without “beez in the trap,” we cannot eat, making the finding of a solution to the disorder critical.
4. “In short, the days when North Korea could create a crisis and elicit concessions — those days are over” - President Obama, Remarks on North Korea
Until this year, the international community has always supported vocally opposing the aggressive, “threat for aid” foreign policy of North Korea, citing the need to maintain peace rather than ignite war. The result? A push past the line of threat, the creation of nuclear weapons, and armed missiles on the border of the DMZ. In a joint conference with South Korea’s new leader, President Park Guen-Hye, President Obama quite bluntly drew the line: North Korea will no longer benefit from threats. The policy may be the most sound, forcing the isolated country to return to six party nuclear talks and participate in diplomatic procedures to continue to feed itself.
3. “We’ll never change the name, it’s that simple. NEVER — you can use caps” - Daniel Snyder, Owner of Washington Redskins, Changing the Team Name
Nothing like a dose of casual racism in 2013 to remind us all that people and ideas still persist which openly oppose basic decency. Playing on the dated term for Native Americans, “Redskins” remains one of the only institutional business names still relying on invalid racial slurs. While colleges, other NFL teams, and the world in general change such instances of long-past segregation, Mr. Snyder sits firmly on the wrong side of history. Support the team and its heart, but try not to humor bigotry.
2. “There is no good reason to execute anyone without performing the testing that could definitively prove guilt or innocence” - Mississippi Innocence Project, Execution of Willie Manning
Willie Manning, on death row since 1996, has been the center of an intense legal and public battle over the validity of forensic science in the processing of his double murder case. After being found guilty and sentenced to two separate death penalties, Manning and supporters challenged a single hair forensic analysis that ended up overextending science and breaching common practice. The Mississippi Innocence Project, a group in support of a full review of the case, successfully petitioned this week to stay Willie’s execution, an extraordinary event that is sure to set a precedent. N.W.A. was right: sometimes, the police actually are sus.
1. “I’ve been here a year. You see where I’m coming from? I’ve BBQ’d with this dude! We eat ribs and what not - and listen to Salsa music!” - Charles Ramsey, Amanda Berry Kidnapping
While the Amanda Berry story unfolded dramatically with the arrest of her three kidnappers and the release of several missing women, the brightest star of the day was none other than Charles Ramsey, a neighbor and future internet celebrity. After dropping a hilarious, if not so helpful, 911 call, Ramsey delivered one of the best interviews of the year. It takes a lot to make everyone smile in the middle of an extremely tense situation, but that ability is what makes Ramsey endearing. Plus, you never know when the guy you used to eat ribs with will turn around and lose it.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Game on: the Denver Broncos are playing the Carolina Panthers in the Super Bowl 50. We're bringing you the play-by-play 🏈🙌
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and Sen. Marco Rubio malfunctioned 🇺🇸
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."