1. Everyone knows Hey Arnold is the greatest cartoon of all time.
2. But there are some things that went way over your head in the ’90s.
3. Like what Arnold’s effeminate, theatre-directing math teacher, Mr. Simmons was really all about.
4. The show’s Thanksgiving episode gives us a closer look at Mr. Simmons’ home life.
5. Sick of their own families’ attitudes about turkey day, Helga and Arnold decide to crash Mr. Simmons’ Thanksgiving.
6. Inside is Mr. Simmons’ family:
(L. to R.) That’s Simmons’ “friend” Peter, his friend Joy, Uncle Chuck, and Mrs. Simmons mother, Pearl.
7. As soon as they’re all seated, Pearl says to no one in particular, “I didn’t know Peter was coming today.” Peter quickly fires back:
And so begins an awkward in-the-closet Thanksgiving which immediately seems like a total mess.
9. Pearl suggests her son should take Joy to the ballet that weekend in an obvious attempt at getting them together. Simmons says he loves the ballet without realizing her intentions.
Peter is furious.