2. Share what you have with your group. What goes around comes around.
3. Look out for each other and be good to one another.
4. When dumpster diving, if you find a pair of shoes or clothes that are not your size, leave them neatly by the side of the dumpster for the next diver.
5. Don’t interact with the police.
6. Respect the system at shelters. It may be first-come, first-served, but certain sleeping spots are earned.
Justin Sullivan / Stringer
8. Be wary of the items given to you by other people. They might be trying to get rid of something for a reason.
9. Double-check the food people give you.
10. Don’t beg on someone’s corner if they are already there.
11. Find a group of people you can trust (not easy to do) and stick with them.
13. Always take your shoes off when you sleep.
14. Talk to other homeless people. Having someone to talk to helps ease the pain of loneliness.
15. It’s respectful to pretend like you don’t care where your friends went at night.
16. To prevent someone from stealing your mobile phone at night, sleep with it by your crotch.
18. Don’t be a rat, that shit will get you killed.
19. Watch your words. You never know what someone might take too seriously.
20. Don’t do anything stupid to get money (e.g. sex, crime).
21. If you’re trying to run away from good parents, and are underage, we will make sure the police find you.
23. Never turn down a meal.
24. Never turn down a chance to do some work.
25. Go to the library every single day.
26. Save every penny.