1. At 2:50 p.m. on Monday April 15, pure evil exploded at the Boston Marathon finish line.
4. Normal, everyday people sprung into action.
7. People opened up their homes.
This picture was captioned on instagram. “There is love in this world. A sweet woman opened her home to us and gave us food, shelter and beer! Our hotel is locked down. We can’t get over there. So scary. Praying.”
11. And police officers reminded people that this is Boston. They would prevail.
12. While all of this was going on, an explosion at a fertilizer company decimated a small town called West, Texas.
13. Text messages were sent, as people realized just how fortunate they were.
16. Students at Baylor University waited in long lines to donate blood.
19. Tip jars across the Texas were popping up to benefit the victims.
22. People across the country chipped in, sending whatever they could to Texas.
23. Members of the volunteer firefighters in Greensburg, Kansas, held a boot drive.
24. The Cleburne, Texas, McDonald’s represented with their Boston gear.
30. That night, the Boston PD flexed their muscles.
31. They were basically the Avengers.
32. At daybreak, when officers made people stay in their homes, this guy brought milk to a family with young children.
33. By nightfall, they got the suspect.
34. Naturally, everyone left their houses and partied in the streets.
35. Police officers included. (Open container laws were apparently temporarily suspended.)
37. At last, police officers could rest and go home to their families.
This picture was captioned on Instagram: “He’s home!!! Safe and sound after a long four days. Never been more proud.”
38. The next day, an excited crowd showed up at Fenway.
42. It all just goes to show how these kinds of tragedies bring us all together, regardless of geography.
- The fire at a South Carolina black church late Tuesday night wasn't arson, according to a preliminary investigation.
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- The U.S. has defeated Germany 2-0 in the Women's World Cup semis. Team USA will play Japan or England in the final ⚽️