1. Here’s what the cameras didn’t show you after the NFC Championship.
Before Sherman’s now infamous post-game interview, the Seahawks’ star cornerback flashed Erin Andrews an ear-to-ear smile and pulled her in for a hug. Her thoughts on Sherman’s rant: “That was awesome. That was so awesome. And I loved it.”
2. He is a goofball.
What’s cooler than cool? Dressing as a penguin for Halloween.
6. He really, really likes Gushers.
Marshawn Lynch has Skittles and Richard Sherman has Gushers. In fact, according to an excellent profile of Sherman in Sports Illustrated this past summer, “Sherman gobbles Gushers every Sunday morning during the season.” And yes, that is his jersey made solely from Gushers.
7. He took it to Tom Brady.
Anyone who trolls Tommy Tissues deserves praise.
8. He grilled unsuspecting fans about whether Darrelle Revis was better than Richard Sherman.
Before last year’s Super Bowl between the 49ers and the Ravens, Sherman took to Bourbon Street for Bleacher Report and asked fans who they thought was the better cornerback: Darrelle Revis or Richard Sherman. The responses were priceless.
9. He rode a Jet Ski to watch rookie camp.
Sherman piloted his Jet Ski to the shores of Lake Washington, where the Seahawks practice facility is located, then took some selfies with other fans enjoying the summer day on the lake.
10. He is a world-class athlete, but he’s still just as bad at golf as you are.
Watching the members of the Legion of Boom swing golf clubs makes them ever-so-slightly less intimidating.
11. He’s a self-proclaimed nerd…
In addition to being a Transformers fan, Sherman is a Halo aficionado who was a guest of honor at the Halo 4 release.
12. Who appreciates the cinematic arts.
Posted on Sherman’s Instagram in 2012 with the caption “just bought this.”
15. He’s a blue-collar kid from a blue-collar family.
His father has been a garbage man in Los Angeles for over 30 years, waking up at 4 a.m. each morning to go to work. His mother is a senior clerk for California Children’s Services.
16. And a walking anti-stereotype.
Sherman — well-known to be a Stanford alum who came out of high school in Compton — was the salutatorian at Dominguez High School, finishing with a 4.2 GPA. In a memorable section of Lee Jenkins’ Sports Illustrated profile, he revisited his former high school football team. “‘Who wants to make the NFL?’ he asked. Fifty-odd hands shot up. ‘Now, tell me how long the average NFL career lasts?’ he said. One boy guessed 10 years, another seven, another five. ‘Three-and-a-half years,’ Sherman interrupted. ‘So what are you going to prepare for: Three-and-a-half years? Or the rest of your life?’”
17. He organized a benefit attended by 7,500 people to help build a home for an injured soldier.
Last summer Sherman held a celebrity softball game featuring Larry Fitzgerald, Shawn Kemp, Terrell Owens, Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, and other Seahawk teammates. Over 7,500 people came out to the event, and the proceeds went to the Helping A Hero foundation, which helped raise money for a soldier with an amputated leg to build a home.
18. (And the troops support him back.)
If fighter pilots like you, you’re cool. Just the way it is.
19. He’s only been in the league three years — he’s still on his rookie contract — but is already one of the most charitable players in the NFL.
Blanket Coverage, The Richard Sherman Family Foundation, provides kids with school supplies and clothes. Since Sherman’s charity was founded this past July, they’ve brought goods to four schools and nine community centers. Sherman’s stated goal isn’t “charity,” but leveling the playing field for kids who don’t have the things most people take for granted. Students sign a contract with him: In return for improving their grades, making good attendance, and being good citizens, he’ll continue to help them with clothes and supplies. The foundation also recently visited the Rescue Mission in Tacoma, Wash., and donated socks, blankets, shoes, board games, and books to 160 families who are homeless or trying to get their lives back on track after suffering from addiction.
22. If you don’t get a little choked up watching this video, you don’t have a soul.
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND WATCH THIS VIDEO.
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday on the coast of the French island of Réunion is found to belong to a Boeing 777, a Malaysian official confirmed to AFP Friday.
- Beijing has won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.
- Zimbabwe's environment minister has called for Walter Palmer, the American dentist who killed Cecil the lion, to be extradited over the animal's death.