1. Make upside-down planters.
Finally something to do with your empty milk jugs and two-liter bottles. Learn how to make them here.
2. Start seedlings in a citrus peel.
Use any type of citrus peel: grapefruit, oranges, pomelos, or lemons. Poke a hole in the bottom and then add seeds, soil and water. Once the seeds have taken off, transplant the whole thing in the ground and the peel will take care of itself!
3. Start seedlings in an egg carton.
Pretty much the same as the citrus peels. If you don’t want to clean out the eggs, seeds can be placed directly in the egg carton.
5. Fashion a watering can out of a recycled detergent bottle.
6. Make a herb garden with jars.
Learn how to make the jars’ drainage system here.
7. Make a planter for your jar garden.
8. Create magnetic wall terrariums.
With magnetic backs, these terrariums can be placed on any metal surface. Directions here.
9. Build mirrored planters.
Learn how to make these beauties here.
10. Turn old cans into planters.
Use either old coffee cans or paint cans. Poke holes in the bottom for drainage and then paint the cans. For more details go here.
Mount your new can planters.
Not enough space for all your can planters? Learn how to mount them here.
11. Make a tapestry out of a mirror frame.
Find out how to create this vertical succulent garden here.
12. Construct hanging terrariums out of bait bags.
Get the full instructions for these beautiful hanging pots here.
13. Assemble a plant stand.
Dust off the step ladder in the closet and lay wooden planks or baking sheets across the steps to make a plant stand.
15. Put together a crate garden.
16. Make a magnetic garden organizer.
This will help you from always forgetting where you put your gloves. For instructions go here.
17. Fashion a hanging garden.
All you need is three baskets, rope, soil, seeds, and two screws. Directions here.
18. Make garden markers out of kaput spoons.
Now you can do something with those spoons half-eaten by the garbage disposal. Instructions here. For ideas on how to make garden markers out of soda cans or pottery shards go here or to make them out of clay go here.
20. Prepare a water garden.
Use pea gravel instead of dirt, so the water will not muddy. Warning: Keep this project away from mosquitos!
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- At least 24 homes have been lost and one firefighter killed as dozens of wildfires continue to ravage drought-stricken California.