1. He was awarded a silver star for personally leading trapped soliders out of a minefield in Vietnam and even carrying off some of the wounded he rescued.
2. He was awarded a Purple Heart for being wounded in Vietnam as well.
3. He had three children and is pictured here with his daughter Cindy during her freshman year at Auburn.
4. He was married to his wife Brenda for 44 years.
6. He is best known for successfully leading Operation Desert Storm in 1991.
7. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George H. W. Bush in 1991.
8. He remained good friends with Colin Powell throughout his life.
- Chicago officials have released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. The officer was charged with murder Tuesday. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›