1. He was awarded a silver star for personally leading trapped soliders out of a minefield in Vietnam and even carrying off some of the wounded he rescued.
Peter Arnett / AP
2. He was awarded a Purple Heart for being wounded in Vietnam as well.
3. He had three children and is pictured here with his daughter Cindy during her freshman year at Auburn.
6. He is best known for successfully leading Operation Desert Storm in 1991.
7. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George H. W. Bush in 1991.
8. He remained good friends with Colin Powell throughout his life.
Andrew Kaczynski is a political reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Andrew Kaczynski at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here Are The Top Stories
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️