1. He was awarded a silver star for personally leading trapped soliders out of a minefield in Vietnam and even carrying off some of the wounded he rescued.
Peter Arnett / AP
2. He was awarded a Purple Heart for being wounded in Vietnam as well.
3. He had three children and is pictured here with his daughter Cindy during her freshman year at Auburn.
6. He is best known for successfully leading Operation Desert Storm in 1991.
7. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George H. W. Bush in 1991.
8. He remained good friends with Colin Powell throughout his life.
Andrew Kaczynski is a political reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Andrew Kaczynski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here Are The Top Stories
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- Puerto Rico has failed to make a $58 million debt payment, and credit rating agency Moody's says the U.S. territory is in default.
- The man accused of fatally shooting a Memphis, Tennessee, police officer on Saturday has turned himself in.