1. A video of a 19-year-old Chinese Muslim man confessing to assassinating the Imam of China’s largest mosque, has been aired in Beijing.
Nurmemet Abidilimit told Chinese state TV journalists that he learnt what ‘jihad’ was through internet videos, before joining two other men in killing the 74-year-old Imam, Jume Tahir (pictured below), in July.
“I learnt the word “jihad” for the first time from a video. Before that, I’d never heard of this concept,” he said.
According to reports, the government-appointed Imam, Jume Tahrir operated the 600-year-old Id Kah mosque in the city of Kashgar in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.
“Jume Tahir was the target of our jihad because he distorted the doctrine.”
3. Chinese state media reports, the man’s two other accomplice’s were killed at the scene, which occurred after morning prayers at the mosque.
- President Obama is one vote away from sealing a historic nuclear deal with Iran after two Democratic senators backed the agreement. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- Missouri executed Roderick Nunley Tuesday night for a 1989 rape and murder. It was the state's sixth execution this year, and the nation's 20th. ›