1. Sydney’s Daily Telegraph put together a mock newspaper page on Thursday, making light of rival Sydney Morning Herald and the resignation of veteran journalist Mike Carlton.
2. But Bill Walters on Twitter noticed that the Daily Telegraph’s graphic artists had photoshopped Mike Carlton’s face, with a Arab keffiyeh, on to a disturbing photo.
3. One of the more iconic photos of the Boston bombings, the photo shows the severely burned James Costello dazed and seeking help.
4. The Daily Telegraph’s editor, Paul Whittaker, issued an apology via Twitter on Friday.
Mark Di Stefano is a political editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in Sydney, Australia.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)