1. Australia’s most successful ever Olympian Ian Thorpe has told British TV host Sir Michael Parkinson: “I’m comfortable saying I’m a gay man.”
In a Sunday night prime time interview broadcast on Channel Ten, “Thorpey” addressed questions from “Parky” about his sexuality, depression and outstanding swimming career.
“I’ve thought about this for a long time.” Thorpe said in response to the persistent questions over his sexuality. “I am not straight.”
“Only in the last two weeks have I been comfortable telling people around me.”
Thorpe told Sir Michael he had being asked about his sexuality since he was sixteen.
2. The revelation was leaked in advance to Sunday’s newspapers, which prompted an outpouring of public support.
4. Fellow Australian gold medal swimmer Stephanie Rice tweeted a message to her good mate.
5. Other sportsmen offered support.
6. Australia’s LGBTI community were over the moon that Thorpe had decided to come out.
8. Australian comedian Tom Ballard raised a good point at the growing stocks of gay swimming mafia.
9. Others used the #OnYaThorpie hash tag to rally around the swimmer.
14. Maybe it’s time for Australia to embrace equality in LGBTI rights.
15. Congratulations Thorpie… you legend.
- Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he obtained sedatives to give to women he wanted to have sex with, the AP reports.
- The South Carolina legislature took a key step toward removing the Confederate flag from statehouse grounds.
- More than 1 million people are expected to attend Pope Francis' mass in Ecuador.