1. Mental health advocacy group Beyond Blue has launched a new campaign about “casual racism” in Australia.
2. The campaign aims to highlight Australia’s casual racism towards Indigenous Australians. It shows various situations where people are giving in to a racist voice in their head.
3. Beyond Blue says this casual racism by the “Invisible Discriminator” leads to high rates of depression and anxiety in Indigenous communities.
4. And seemingly small moments make a remarkable impact on people’s mental health.
5. The campaign launched with the hashtag #stopthinkrespect which trended in Australia’s biggest capital cities.
7. And immediately there was a debate about whether “abo” was a racist term.
8. One person went straight to questioning how “aboriginal” the actors were.
9. And some on Facebook wanted to point out that white people are targeted by racism as well.
11. Those that wanted to claim the campaign was pulling the “racism card”.
12. And this commenter who summed up exactly what Beyond Blue was targeting in one single, long sentence.
14. However there were positive reactions to the television commercial.
17. The full ad called “The Invisible Discriminator” is powerful viewing.
18. Also, the actors talk about real world casual racism in a behind the scene video.
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›