1. Actress Julianne Hough decided to go all out in blackface for her costume as Orange Is The New Black’s Crazy Eyes.
3. Ryan Seacrest’s ex-girlfriend went with a group all dressed like characters from the popular Netflix series.
5. Julianne’s brother, Dancing With The Stars’ Derek Hough, commended the group’s “genius costumes” in a post on Instagram. The photo has since been deleted.
Caption: “Orange is the new Black !! Genius costumes. Love how much they commit and have fun with a show they love. #womanunit.”
6. But some people were not too thrilled about Hough’s decision to darken her skin tone.
A COSTUME is hair, clothes, affectations. Not skin color. You work in Hollywood, you should know this already, @juliannehough
it’s still blackface even if you use bronzer. its still blackface even if you use MAC or Dior instead of charred cork. @juliannehough
Dear Julianne Hough, blackface is never a good costume, k?
Julianne Hough could’ve easily gone as the super boring overly privileged “Piper Kerman,” i guess that it is too close to real life & ain’t+
11. In a tweeted statement, Hough apologized for her offensive costume.
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- MLB issued its first-ever lifetime ban for performance enhancing drugs to New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.