London can sometimes seem like a depressing and divided place.
But it really isn’t. Here are just a few of the many, many reasons to be proud you’re a Londoner.
1. It’s one of the most diverse cities on the planet.
4. But we’re still a community. And we come together when it matters.
5. Another benefit of this diversity, of course, is that there is always something good to eat.
6. The food culture here is just ridiculously good, from restaurants to street markets. And it’s getting better all the time.
7. The tube! We whinge about it endlessly, but it’s a marvel of engineering, and most of the time it works just fine.
8. And the DLR! Hop on, and pretend you’re in a video game (don’t pretend you’ve not done it).
9. You’re never far from a park. London has more green space than any other major city on earth.
10. Other cities would kill to have a haven as beautiful and peaceful as Hampstead Heath. It’s basically the countryside. And you can even swim in the ponds.
11. In fact, outdoor swimming is something we do well. Do people in other cities even know what a lido is?
12. Culturally we’re blessed, too. There’s always something new and exciting going on.
Like Pillow Fight Day in Trafalgar Square, for example.
13. Quick shout-out for cabbies. They’re self-employed, supremely knowledgeable, and always up for a chat. Take that, New York!
14. The feeling of walking over the Thames after dark.
Waterloo Bridge is best for this, but any bridge will do, really.
16. The fact it’s always growing and changing. In a couple of years’ time the skyline will look like this.
17. Seeing people do the walk of shame when you’re on your way to work.
19. Even when we protest about things, we generally do it good-naturedly.
20. We are relentlessly sarcy.
22. We are permanently knackered and stressed, but we have ways of dealing with it.
23. (Mostly we just drink through the pain).
24. We’re buttoned-up, reserved, generally pretty grumpy. And we like it that way.
25. We know how to throw a party.
27. The fact that this tube announcer exists.
“This train is for all the Brixton crew. Service update, everyting irie, everyting cris. Chill out, kick back, no need let anybody cramp your style. Rastaman driver, take these beautiful people to their destination.”