1. Kanye spent time travelling between Chicago and New York to rap at the Fat Beats store, a center for underground talent.
Kanye is wearing a polo shirt, a style he would later become strongly associated with, and is also heard making an Alanis Morissette reference.
2. This footage is from the opening party for Fat Beats’ second location in New York in 1996. DJ Eclipse found the footage when going through old tapes after it closed down in 2010.
“Yesterday I started converting old Hi8 video tapes to DVD and came across some interesting footage from that day. Now we had a lot of the usual suspects in the place that day such as ILL BILL, Arsonists, Lord Finesse, Adagio, Breeze Brewin, A.L. Skills, Percee P, J-Live, Mr. Live, Chino XL, Al Tariq, Black Attack, Xzibit, Shabaam Sahdeeq, Rawcotiks, Ak Skills, Rob Swift, Roc Raida, DJ Spinna and many, many more. But what took me by surprise was the appearance of this 19-year-old kid who at that time nobody knew. At least in NYC.”
3. Via Complex.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›