1. Cher thinks her life must look like a Noxzema commercial…
This is what a Noxzema commercial of the mid-’90s looked like.
2. When Cher says her Jeep is “loqued out,” she means it’s fresh/fly/cool…
3. The “great singers of the past” (meaning the ’70s) she’s is talking about are (Cher, obvi) and Dionne Warwick.
4. “That Ike and Tina Turner movie” Cher thinks her friends have seen too many times…
5. Jeepin’ or “vehicular sex” is, you know, hooking up in a car.
6. It’s not “outie,” it’s “audi.” As in the car brand, Audi.
7. In this scene, Alicia Silverstone actually mispronounced “Haitians” on her own. Director Amy Heckerling thought the mistake was so good, she kept it in.
8. This means, according to Cher, that the Haitians should feel free to just show up in America.
9. “Maudlin music” is Radiohead.
10. The Galleria is a mall in the San Fernando Valley.
11. When Cher calls Josh “Kato”…
She’s referring to Kato Kaelin, the lame guy/witness in the OJ Simpson case who was living in Simpson’s guesthouse. Generally thought of as a freeloader.
12. Contempo Casual was a mall chain store.
13. Cher is implying that all female gym teachers are lesbians. Miss Stoeger is a lesbian. Maybe.
15. “The Crimson Wave” is a bunch of girls on their periods.
17. When Dee says Josh is going through his “post-adolescent idealistic phase”…
20. A “Baldwin,” Clueless slang for a hot guy, refers to the Baldwin Brothers.
22. The book she’s talking about is A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens.
24. When Cher corrects Josh’s annoying girlfriend, who thinks Hamlet said, “To thine own self be true”…
25. Remember when Cher makes this comparison?
26. This book is a hint that Christian is gay.
28. Billie Holiday is a woman.
30. The movie Christian brings over — Spartacus — is another hint that Christian is gay. That movie is filled with homoeroticism.
31. When Cher says this, you may not have known what Fred Segal was.
This is Fred Segal. It is a store in Los Angeles where celebrities like to shop.
32. This moment is inspired by the 1958 film, Gigi.
33. This is a bong. And a bong is what you smoke marijuana out of.
And as a bonus, here’s this moment you never noticed. Here’s Lucy the maid, who is terrified of Mel, hiding behind a door.
- India's telecom authorities have ruled against Free Basics, Facebook's controversial plan to offer free but limited internet.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."
- The New Hampshire primary, the second voting contest of the U.S. presidential nominating season, is on Tuesday.