1. Hey Arnold: The truth about Arnold’s parents and his disease
In the show, Arnold is presented as an orphan who lives in his grandparents’ boarding house. Some think that his grandparents are actually his real parents and because of a pregnancy so late in life, there were serious complications with Arnold’s birth. He was born with hydrocephalus, a condition which causes a buildup of water in the brain, augmenting the size of the head—this accounts for Arnold’s football-shaped head. Beyond that, conspiracy theorists also think that Arnold’s friends are imaginary: he uses them to escape reality.
2. Rugrats: All the babies are dead and/or imaginary figures
All of the Rugrats are dead and figments of Angelica’s imagination. Chuckie (the anxious redhead) died with his mother, which explains why his father, Chaz, is such a mess. The main character, Tommy, was a stillborn and his death had a lasting effect on his father: Stu’s obsession with making toys stems from the trauma of losing his son. As for Phil and Lil, the twins with slightly ambiguous genders—their mother, Betty, had an abortion. Knowing that Betty was pregnant and then not, Angelica didn’t know the sex of the baby and thus created twins to include both sexes.
3. SpongeBob SquarePants: Victims of nuclear radiation
According to one redditor:
The existence of Spongebob and his strange friends is the result of radiation from nuclear arms testing that was performed on the Bikini Atoll in the late 40’s and early 50’s. Since they live under the atoll, the town is known as ‘Bikini Bottom’.
4. Rocko’s Modern Life: Welcome to the land of sexual perversion
We all know this show was super postmodern and featured some dark humor, but some think Rocko’s world is downright perverted. Via pleaseeveryoneshutup:
1. Rocko and Hefer always ate a restaurant called “Chokey’s Chicken” which in the last season all of a sudden became “Chewy’s Chicken” because they could not get away with it any longer.
2. When Rocko lost his job at Kinda-Alot-O-Comics, he became a phone sex operator. Mrs. Bighead called up the hotline and Rocko picked up the phone and answered in his sexy Aussie accent “Oh baby, oh baby, oh baby”. It got real awkward real quick.
3. They had Filbert cross-dress in a bunch of episodes. Does the line “call me Ophelia” ring a bell? (Probably not; it does to me because I spent the better part of my childhood in front of a TV).
4. When Rocko would visit Hefer (who lived with a pack of wolves), Hefer’s father would always yell out “Let’s eat the beaver!!!” (referring to Rocko, who was a wallaby).
5. Doug Funnie: A delusional racist
This is one of the weirder ones. A Facebook group called “Why The F*ck Does Doug Funnie Only Mack On White Chicks?” is convinced that Doug is a racist because, despite having the pick of his multi-colored peers, he only has eyes for Patti Mayonnaise, who is supposedly caucasian. Others think that because Doug is delusional, he sees different races as funny colors.
- Turkey hopes to ease tensions with Russia after it shot down a Russian warplane earlier this week. The countries have differing accounts of the incident. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria, the AP reports. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›