2. When Minnie Mouse looked like this in 1933.
3. When Mickey wore high heels in the ’30s…and publicly checked out Minnie’s bod.
4. When Mickey and Minnie got married in 1936…and everyone seemingly forgot and chewed them out all these years for just dating.
5. When Donald Duck promoted condoms during WWII.
“Pro” being short for prophylactic.
6. And when he did it again in the ’60s.
Here he is in a Disney PSA about contraception and family planning.
7. When Mickey Mouse decorated childrens’ gas masks during WWII.
8. Also during WW2, Disney produced several war propaganda films, like Education for Death.
These were terrifying.
10. When Disney produced a video for young women in 1946 called The Story of Menstruation.
11. When Mickey and Minnie got makeovers in the ’50s and looked like zombies.
13. When Disney put the unabashedly racist song “What Makes the Red Man Red” in Peter Pan.
14. And when they made the same mistake in Pocahontas with the song “Savages,” some 40 years later.
16. And then there was also the priest in The Little Mermaid who appeared to be sporting an erection.
17. And when a naked woman supposedly showed up in the background of The Rescuers.
18. When Disney World completely changed the Snow White ride in 1994 because it was too disturbing.
The original ride did not have a happy ending. Basically, you “died” in it. Read more about it here.
19. When Disney created an entire town in 1994 — Celebration, Florida — meant to embody Disney ideals and reflect a perfect suburban America aesthetic.
It’s so picture-perfect and regulated that some people feel it’s way too creepy.
20. When Disney started selling Old Yeller dog food, which is messed up considering Old Yeller is killed in the movie.
To make matters worse, a dog allegedly died from the food. Watch the news story here.
- Former U.S. President George W. Bush delivered a speech honoring New Orleans' teachers during a visit marking the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. ›
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. The suspected drivers have been arrested. ›
- Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency due to the "severe threat" posed to his state by Tropical Storm Erika. ›