1. Aerial view of Disneyland before construction, 1954
The park opened a year after construction.
2. Jungle Cruise, 1954
The original Jungle Cruise, almost finished with construction.
3. Main Street, U.S.A., still under construction.
The idea for this idyllic entrance was inspired by Disney’s Missouri hometown and he kept a personal apartment in firehouse.
4. Adventureland under construction, 1954
You can see the Main Street-style facade on the other side of the building, maximizing space.
5. Frontierland, 1955
7. Sleeping Beauty’s castle, 1955
Thanks to a technique in which building elements are larger at the bottom and smaller at the top, Sleeping Beauty’s castle was built to appear much taller than its 77-foot stature.
8. Sleeping Beauty’s castle, 1960
10. Disneyland monorail, 1960
11. Senator Edward M. Kennedy at the Matterhorn ride, 1960
12. Tomorrowland, 1967
This was right after Tomorrowland’s $23 million upgrade.
13. The Matterhorn in 1968
With some very mod and stylish tourists.
- The U.S. will release Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard after 30 years. The move isn't tied to the Iran nuclear deal, American officials say.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- The NFL has upheld Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension for his alleged involvement with the deflation of footballs 🏈