1. Aerial view of Disneyland before construction, 1954
The park opened a year after construction.
2. Jungle Cruise, 1954
The original Jungle Cruise, almost finished with construction.
3. Main Street, U.S.A., still under construction.
The idea for this idyllic entrance was inspired by Disney’s Missouri hometown and he kept a personal apartment in firehouse.
4. Adventureland under construction, 1954
You can see the Main Street-style facade on the other side of the building, maximizing space.
5. Frontierland, 1955
7. Sleeping Beauty’s castle, 1955
Thanks to a technique in which building elements are larger at the bottom and smaller at the top, Sleeping Beauty’s castle was built to appear much taller than its 77-foot stature.
8. Sleeping Beauty’s castle, 1960
10. Disneyland monorail, 1960
11. Senator Edward M. Kennedy at the Matterhorn ride, 1960
12. Tomorrowland, 1967
This was right after Tomorrowland’s $23 million upgrade.
13. The Matterhorn in 1968
With some very mod and stylish tourists.
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- European leaders are holding an emergency summit today to discuss Greece's debt crisis.
- The deadline for a deal on Iran's nuclear program was extended again, to the end of the week.
- Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he obtained sedatives to give to women he wanted to have sex with, the AP reports.