This is a shipping container. It’s used to transport large amounts of goods on boats and on trains. By itself, it’s pretty boring.
But with a little imagination, the shipping container becomes a cheap, reliable building block that can be used to build chic little getaway homes and castles of majesty alike!
And if it’s a lovely evening, you can lift up the wall and bring the evening to you.
3. This amazing New Zealand beach house is like the perfect sun porch during the day…
4. This shipping container has literally been turned into a treehouse.
5. This is the woodland cottage of your dreams.
6. This shipping container house actually has another house built INSIDE it!
8. This painted fancy pad by Brazillian Architect Marcio Kogan doesn’t try to hide the containers.
9. The Ecopod can be on or off the grid, and is entirely made from recycled materials.
Even the floor is made from recycled car tires!
10. The Kalkin House in Vermont knows how to make an entrance.
This house doesn’t even make you decide whether you want to be outdoors or in.
11. This adorable snow fort in Quebec took seven shipping containers to make.
12. This delightful cabin was the first shipping container home in Colorado.
13. Would you even guess that the Beach Box, a beach house in the Hamptons, was made from shipping containers?
14. This bright and light little prefab home is like a Barbie Dream House come to life.
16. This two-story American Dream embraces its shipping container roots, as well.
18. This Mojave Desert home almost makes you want to live in the Mojave Desert.
19. This contemporary home was built from only five containers, and while it may seem dark…
20. This in-your-face Chilean hillside house turns up the drama.
22. This Sri Lankan holiday cabin was built on an army base, and was made from a shipping container and other reclaimed materials, including old weapons boxes and timber from old bunkers.
23. This San Jose home has a slanted roof on top to let hot air out and sunlight in.
- The Temple of Bel, an important ancient structure in the ISIS-held Syrian city of Palmyra, has been destroyed, the United Nations says. ›
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a ruling in a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›