1. The interview begins with her insisting she is most definitely not a weed smoker while marijuana could be smelt backstage at the American Music Awards.
“Everyone is high!,” she says. “The weed—I’m not friends with it. I can’t do that stuff. I’d be like in the corner: ‘Are you trying to kill me?!’”
2. As an 11 year old she prayed to God that she would grow up to have big boobs.
“I lay on my back one night and looked down at my feet, and I prayed to God,” she recalls. “I said, ‘God, will you please let me have boobs so big that I can’t see my feet when I’m lying down?’
“At age 11, “God answered my prayers. I had no clue they would fall into my armpits eventually.”
3. She used to get paid for her singing with avocados and pistachios.
At 13, “I’d go to the farmers’ market in Santa Barbara, and I’d put out my guitar case, and I’d test out these little ditty songs that I would write, and I would get a couple of avocados, a bag of pistachios, and, like, fifteen bucks. That was a lot of money for me.”
4. She is au naturel with no plastic surgery. “Not a tit.”
“I’ve never had any plastic surgery,” she says proudly. “Not a nose, not a chin, not a cheek, not a tit. So my messages of self-empowerment are truly coming from an au naturel product.”
6. She lost her virginity at the age of 16 in the front of a car while listening to Jeff Buckley.
It was a Volvo Sedan in Nashville, ICYMI. And it was Jeff Buckley’s album Grace: “Love that record so much”.
7. She believes in aliens.
“I see everything through a spiritual lens,” she says. “I believe in a lot of astrology. I believe in aliens. I look up into the stars and I imagine: How self-important are we to think that we are the only life-form?”
8. Katy has a special relationship with Barack Obama.
“I might have won Wisconsin for him,” she says. “Actually, I didn’t do too much, but he called on me a couple of times. Which was very nice.”
9. Katy opened up about her American Music Awards critics.
“All I was trying to do is just give a very beautiful performance about a place that I have so much love for and find so much beauty in, and that was exactly where I was coming from, with no other thought besides it.”
10. And she’s taking it slowly with boyfriend John Mayer, but is very happy.
“I think that I needed to grow up. I’m just having a wonderful experience with a wonderful guy. There’s no rush.”