1. You remember when the front page looked like this.
Look. Just look at that futuristic logo. The designer probably sat meditating under a waterfall of binary code while listening to trip-hop. You’ve come to the right place.
2. There were a ton of fan clubs for you to belong to.
7. After uploading an artwork, you mashed F5 to see if you got a new comment.
8. You never recovered from that one time your art got featured on the front page in Daily Deviation.
50 comments. 100 likes. MTV True Life: childhood DA stardom ruined me forever.
12. Everything on the site was either a Terragen CGI landscape wallpaper—
13. —or photo-manipulated selfies—
15. —or an abstract 3D design.
Overlayed with futuristic hexagon patterns, tiny text and earnest techno-utopian abstract nouns.
16. (Most of the time, it’s some variety of traumatizing fan art.)
17. Everyone on there listened to SoMa FM radio.
Because internet people are aLtErNaTiVe.
18. ~jasinski’s paintings made you want to become a DJ-barista in Seattle.
19. These emoticons were everything.
20. But you also downloaded novelty emoticons to use in MSN Messenger and Livejournal.
21. When the Print Shop opened, you thought you’d make mad bank selling your art.
22. You taught yourself every design program you needed to know on that site.
Thanks, yall Grunge-listening nerds. I’m totally a hacker now.
24. When an artist you admired talked to you, you tried to play it cool.
Miss you, early 2000’s DeviantART.
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- The U.S. has defeated Germany 2-0 in the Women's World Cup semis. Team USA will play Japan or England in the final ⚽️