1. In Smallville, Tom Welling played a character 10 years younger than himself. Here’s Tom’s actual teenage yearbook photo.
I get that he’s Superman, but I’m 27 and I’m still not as put together as 14-year-old Clark or any of his high school freshman friends. Neither was the guy playing Clark.
2. How about Mean Girls?
Regina George is intimidatingly graceful as a Mean Girls’ ringleader. At that age, Rachel McAdams was nothing like that.
3. The Fonz: original greaser rebel RUDE TEEN.
No wonder The Fonz is still cooler than anyone I know.
4. And Pitch Perfect?
Late twenties Anna makes a plausible college freshman. But still.
5. The O.C.’s teens were always suspiciously presentable.
6. Dear 90210: There’s no way a teen’s this mature and confident.
Andrea was 90210’s idea of an awkward geek. She’s a high school newspaper editor. My idea of awkward geek at age 16 was playing Diablo II for 26 hours a day.
7. And here’s the high school tennis star in 90210:
Not even wearing a Big Dog T-shirt and cargo pants.
12. So this is why you’re still not as cool and assured as the “teens” on TV. Remember, this is what real teenagers look like:
- The U.S. is investigating how a cargo ship with 33 people on board sank during Hurricane Joaquin. The ship went missing in the Caribbean last week. ›
- Texas carried out its 11th execution of the year on Tuesday — the most of any state — putting to death an inmate who murdered a man over $8. ›
- New York's attorney general has opened an investigation into two popular fantasy sports websites, after employees allegedly used insider information to profit. ›