Miley Cyrus appeared on the Today Show this morning to perform her hit singles “We Can’t Stop” and “Wrecking Ball.”
She also sat down with a six-minute interview with host Matt Lauer. Below, our favorite quotes.
1. “[The attention] is kind of what I want. I’m an artist so I’m hoping that I get a little attention, otherwise my record sales might be a little sketch.”
2. “I don’t ever really plan to offend people, um, but sometimes that just happens because I think people— you know, they’re not open to what they don’t understand. That’s why what I’m doing is for my fans.”
3. “[The VMA performance] went exactly as planned. It’s a month later and we’re still talking about it.”
4. “You [Matt] can’t help, every time you go by a wrecking ball, you just want to get naked and be on top of it.”
5. “This is who I am. I think it’s only hard if you’re trying to be something you’re not. Being who you are is really easy.”
6. In response to Lauer asking when her “sexual phase” will stop: “I heard when you turn 40 things start to go a little less sexual, so probably around 40?”
7. “Oh, [you’re] 55? Well then you’re really definitely not sexual.”
8. “I think [Sinead O’Connor] is an incredible artist, and an amazing songwriter, and I was really inspired by her for my ‘Wrecking Ball’ video.”
9. “For me the most important thing is being a really good person, and that doesn’t depend on what you do on stage, that depends on how you treat people when you’re offstage.”
10. “I can go to [my parents] with pretty much anything — a lot of kids have to hide things from their parents and I don’t have to because my parents are just accepting. That’s what real love is.”
The full interview:
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. faces Japan in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. The Americans scored 4 goals in the first 15 minutes of the game ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.