School is out and summer is in full gear.
Promises have been made.
Remember when you told yourself that you’d finally read Ulysses?
Promises have been broken.
Remember when you watched all of OITNB season two instead?
But today is a new day.
Even if you woke up at 3 p.m.
Or so you tell yourself.
Remember that time they made a live-action Peter Pan w. Jeremy Sumpter aka every 10-year-old girl’s dream.
1. But maybe you can try to teach yourself a useful skill like HTML, JAVA, or Python.
Because dads and computers.
2. Maybe you could teach yourself how to cook.
3. Change your Facebook settings to learn a new language.
Remember when you thought changing your Facebook to Pirate was comedic gold?
4. Or read magazines online in another language.
Get up-to-speed on your amor & sexo while learning to speak Español.
You can learn about complicated things in plain, jargon-free, regular, human English.
6. Wikiversity too.
Free learning from the comfort of your PJs.
7. Go to a lecture without having to physically move.
Academicearth.org has free lectures and course material from universities like MIT, Johns Hopkins, Stanford and Columbia.
Nonfics.com has suggestions for the best documentaries currently on Netflix and the best places to find documentaries online. PBS is also a great resource, as is this Timeout ranking of the 50 best documentaries of all time.
9. If you’re a college student, look into discounts and free admissions deals that your school offers for museums/shows.
10. Download an app that will restrict you from websites that you spend too much time on.
Selfcontrol app is a good one. Don’t block BuzzFeed, though.
11. Find books that you’ll actually want to read.
12. Or catch up on the latest and greatest articles that are available on the web.
Longreads collects magazine pieces and articles for you.
13. If you just can’t keep your brain focused for an extended period of time, catch up on some short stories
Free classics online at Classic Shorts and American shorts at Americanliterature.com. Resources for Gabriel García Márquez and Alice Munro shorts at Openculture.com and a list that includes George Saunders at Flavorwire.com.
14. Attempt to learn to do something *artistic* like draw or play the guitar.
15. Listen to podcasts while you commute, cook or wait in line.
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›
- It could take more than a year for Volkswagen to fix all its cars with diesel engines rigged to evade emissions tests, the company's U.S. CEO said. ›