First, let’s set the scene with the soundtrack to 2004.
2. The daily struggle with skinny jeans was real.
4. There wasn’t any point to being in a relationship unless you could take photos like this.
5. Wednesday was the most important day of the week because that’s when Kerrang! came out.
7. This Venn diagram perfectly sums up your approach to music at the time.
13. That moment in “Sorry You’re Not a Winner”.
14. You perfected the MySpace pose years before the word “selfie” was a thing.
Lift your camera up, lean forward, turn your toes in, and do something kooky with your spare hand.
15. You had a LiveJournal to write down all your deepest darkest secrets and feelings.
16. You had at least one accessory with Jack Skellington on.
17. Your Converse were everything to you.
You’d write your favourite lyrics and doodles across the toes for that extra-individual look.
18. Fall Out Boy were life.
You’d automatically do this gesture at the right part of “Sugar, We’re Going Down” every time you heard it.
19. You wanted ear gauges.
Even though you knew they looked and smelled hideous when you took them out.
20. In fact, you probably wanted all the facial piercings.
Snakebites were the ultimate emo facial accessory.
21. No outfit was complete without one of these.
22. “Hanging out” in highly visible public places was what you did most weekends.
Parks, town centres, markets, anywhere with steps…
24. Even if the bands were terrible, the crowd would react like they were at the Warped tour.
(Even though you never actually went to the Warped tour.)
25. And you pretended that moshing was the best thing ever, and not at all life-endangering or painful.
26. But most importantly, you would categorically deny that you were an emo to anyone who called you one.
“Why are you labelling me? I’m just being me!”
- Thirty-one people are dead after two passenger trains derailed within minutes of each other on a flooded bridge in central India.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- Record-breaking freediver, Natalia Molchanova, is feared dead. She disappeared while diving off the coast of Spain on Sunday.