1. Here’s a 1992 piece on future Tory MP Louise Mensch in an Oxford University newspaper. It says she’s featured under a pseudonym in an NME article out that week.
She was known as Louise Bagshawe back then.
2. Which is interesting, because Popbitch has tracked down the NME article that they’re talking about.
4. Whoever “Clare” is, they had a pretty fun time.
6. And she likes to have very clear-cut rules on how to enjoy herself.
8. Because, ultimately, she’s in charge.
9. “Clare” even provides her top tips for girls who want follow in her footsteps.
10. So is this actually Louise? Well, she set up the university rock society as a ruse to meet heavy metal bands. And Sharon Osborne. And a bloke called Peter Mensch.
11. So we emailed Louise to ask her about all this.
Sadly, I had no luck in getting any bands to appear at Oxford under the banner of the Rock Soc. It did, however, allow me to justify going to see bands when I probably should have been studying, like Def Leppard in Frankfurt during finals week.
I always felt I had more fun than most throughout my life - not just at university.
P.S. I still got a 2:1.
12. Guardian journalist John Harris also remembers hanging out with the future Tory MP at Uni.
She would enliven student debate with tributes to the credo of “sex, drums and rock’n’roll” (coward!) and her boasts about being on very good terms with Joe Elliott from Def Leppard.