1. This is Sebastian Kurz. He’s 27 years old. And he’s currently Austria’s foreign minister.
Kurz, born a year after the first Back to the Future film was released, does the same job as British Foreign Secretary William Hague and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.
2. Kurz is currently meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov to discuss diplomatic solutions to the Ukraine crisis.
Lavrov is more than twice Kurz’s age. He became Vladimir Putin’s foreign minister in 2004, at which time Kurz was revising for his final school exams.
4. Kurz joined the Austrian cabinet in December 2013, after being elected to parliament two months earlier.
Kurz was born in 1986 worked his way up through the youth wing of the centre-right Austrian People’s Party.
5. He previously served as state secretary for social integration for two years from 2011 onwards.
During this time Kurz was praised for helping to integrated new immigrants into Austria’s education system.
6. He readily admits that he lacks foreign policy experience but has been busy meeting counterparts from around the world over the last six months.
This is Kurz meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
“Due to my age I have limited experience and of course hardly any diplomatic experience. But what I bring is lots of diligence, energy and the desire to contribute something,” Kurz told Reuters in December.
That’s from the mouth of a man who’s younger than Avril Lavigne and the Olsen twins. And is already helping to shape global foreign policy.