1. In a 2012 survey, almost a fifth of children said they would be “embarrassed” if a friend saw them with a book….
2. …and 54% of those questioned said they preferred watching TV to reading.
Here’s the study from the National Literary Trust.
3. Fifty Shades of Grey is now the best-selling book of all time in Britain.
4. Snooki is a New York Times best-selling author.
5. So is Jessica Alba.
6. This Justin Bieber book? Also a New York Times best seller.
7. Book and e-book sales are down 9.3% in the U.S.
And the trend is pretty much the same across the globe.
8. The last Borders bookstore closed in September 2011. Barnes and Noble, which is battling a steady sales decline, has been closing about 15 stores a year.
9. Ebook sales have officially topped printed book sales as of 2011.
…which isn’t a death knell for reading per se, but it certainly signals the end of a rich historical era. Of paper.
10. Forks, Washington, now has Twilight-themed stores designed to cash in on tourists.
11. And the four-book Twilight series has sold over 116 million copies, almost half as many as Stephen King’s entire canon.
12. It’s gotten so bad, books are now being MASSACRED for crafts.
Thanks, Lauren Conrad.
13. And the worst: One in four Americans said they read ZERO books in the past year.
(According to this 2007 Associated Press poll.)
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.