1. A new species of cockroach wasp has been named Ampulex dementor, after public voting at the Museum of Natural History in Berlin.
2. The wasps were named after Dementors because of their tendency to paralyze their prey before eating it.
3. The researchers said: “The Dementor’s fictional behaviour and effects reminded us of the effect of the stinging behaviour of Ampulex on the behaviour of its cockroach prey”.
4. The museum has said that involving the public in naming species helps to get them interested in biodiversity and its discovery.
5. Museum visitors were given four names from which they could choose their favourite.
6. Better start working on your Patronus!
Read the full paper here.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The World Health Organization says that an interim analysis of a potential Ebola vaccine shows "100% efficacy in individuals."
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday on the coast of the French island of Réunion is found to belong to a Boeing 777, a Malaysian official confirmed to AFP Friday.
- Beijing has won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.