1. A new species of cockroach wasp has been named Ampulex dementor, after public voting at the Museum of Natural History in Berlin.
2. The wasps were named after Dementors because of their tendency to paralyze their prey before eating it.
3. The researchers said: “The Dementor’s fictional behaviour and effects reminded us of the effect of the stinging behaviour of Ampulex on the behaviour of its cockroach prey”.
4. The museum has said that involving the public in naming species helps to get them interested in biodiversity and its discovery.
5. Museum visitors were given four names from which they could choose their favourite.
6. Better start working on your Patronus!
Read the full paper here.
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›