1. A new species of cockroach wasp has been named Ampulex dementor, after public voting at the Museum of Natural History in Berlin.
2. The wasps were named after Dementors because of their tendency to paralyze their prey before eating it.
3. The researchers said: “The Dementor’s fictional behaviour and effects reminded us of the effect of the stinging behaviour of Ampulex on the behaviour of its cockroach prey”.
4. The museum has said that involving the public in naming species helps to get them interested in biodiversity and its discovery.
5. Museum visitors were given four names from which they could choose their favourite.
6. Better start working on your Patronus!
Read the full paper here.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- The South Carolina legislature took a key step toward removing the Confederate flag from statehouse grounds.
- Reddit's CEO apologized for the site's "long history of mistakes."