1. There’s a huge and beautiful rock in the middle of the desert.
2. In fact, there are amazing rock formations all over the place that you’d never see anywhere else.
4. Don’t forget the Devil’s Marbles.
flickr.com/andy_tyler/7215429846/ / Creative Commons
5. And Kata Tjuta.
upload.wikimedia.org/commons/e/eb/Kata_Tjuta_aerial_photo_(February_2004).jpg / Creative Commons
6. But it’s not all rocks and red dust.
flickr.com/alexhealing/4074216321/sizes/l / Creative Commons
7. There is some interesting flora to be found in the NT.
flickr.com/alexhealing/sets/72157622606941783/ / Creative Commons
9. You can go for hundreds of kilometres without seeing anybody.
11. There’s a diverse range of friendly wildlife.
flickr.com/httpwwwflickrcomphotostopend/2254825592/in/photolist-a6TjeH-7ZaHWK-4aJzJ8-a6Tjkv-4rfz6j-nP45Ch-4aJzMp-4aNBPU-nTUYGk-bMw1Br-3Y3kLp-7gEKDx-nQNA6i-nQNHU4-nSTCFP-nyBnvf-nR3fej-nyAXTp-nR2PpQ-nQNAEK / Creative Commons
13. But of course, some very unique creatures.
14. And some you mightn’t expect.
flickr.com/pldms/5850403553/sizes/l / Creative Commons
16. And some you can’t miss.
flickr.com/atlasoflivingaustralia/5929600211/sizes/l / Creative Commons
19. The occasional clouds only add to the beauty.
flickr.com/steve_shattuck/3810541257/sizes/l / Creative Commons
20. Particularly at sunset.
flickr.com/graeme/5519430160/in/photostream/ / Creative Commons
21. The sunsets themselves are ridiculously photogenic.
flickr.com/9512940@N08/5106239256/sizes/l / Creative Commons
22. Seriously? This is a real place?
flickr.com/spaceodissey/3083278488/sizes/o/ / Creative Commons
23. Though the real magic begins when the sun goes down.
flickr.com/psym/5041352656/in/photolist-5MY3iq-2fqC2-fB6MqM-9xri1L-bBa4XN-bBnMwU-bQmE3r-7KsG8q-bZP8td-bZN1o5-9PiUZ2-c8KsLE-74Do3p-99YPRi-hBXnoP-58Yk6p-7Lopbz-8Fufvo-8Fuf4W-8FufUf-8GZ2DA-c5JBWq / Creative Commons
24. The lack of light pollution makes for amazing night skies.
flickr.com/jeffowenphoto/5058284144/sizes/l / Creative Commons
25. The beaches are spectacular and never crowded.
flickr.com/davespencer/4842175991/ / Creative Commons
26. Or there’s rivers to swim in if you’d prefer.
flickr.com/jwbenwell/5838700521/in/set-72157608583656089 / Creative Commons
27. Also waterfalls…
29. And plenty of other places to cool off.
en.wikipedia.org/Estuary / Creative Commons
30. There is amazing art, some of which predates European settlement.
flickr.com/jwbenwell/5848398230/in/set-72157608583656089 / Creative Commons
31. The sand in the desert is like none you’ve ever seen before.
flickr.com/30606801@N02/2988976902 / Creative Commons
32. The red colour comes from iron oxide particles.
flickr.com/spaceodissey/3347215887/sizes/o / Creative Commons
Jemima Skelley is a staff writer for BuzzFeed and is based in Sydney.
In The News Today