When Play It Again, Dick — a web series revolving around Ryan Hansen’s fan favorite Veronica Mars character, Dick Casablancas — was announced in January 2014, creator Rob Thomas described the project like this: “The web series will have more in common with Party Down tonally, but it will be about Ryan Hansen, or at least a version of Ryan Hansen, deciding to capitalize on the current Veronica Mars heat to get his own series on the air. He’ll try to pull his actor pals into the venture with varying degrees of success.”
In the subsequent seven months, Thomas has been silent on the series. But with filming on the eight-episode series recently completed, BuzzFeed can now reveal the actors who will join Ryan Hansen — who plays Dick Casablancas and a fictionalized version of himself — in the super-meta series.
3. Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars and Kristen Bell
The Rob Thomas-penned web series revolves around a fictional Veronica Mars spin-off that Hansen has “written” as a star vehicle for himself titled Play It Again, Dick. Like almost everyone involved, Bell plays a slightly skewed version of herself who has — begrudgingly — agreed to reprise her role as the titular sleuth for Hansen’s spin-off.
7. Daran Norris as Cliff McCormack and Daran Norris
9. Kyle Gallner as Cassidy “Beaver” Casablancas and Kyle Gallner
10. Christopher B. Duncan as Clarence Wiedman and Christopher B. Duncan
11. Ryan Devlin as Duncan Kane and Ryan Devlin
No, that’s not a typo: Devlin, who played rapist Mercer Hayes in the third season, returns to replace Teddy Dunn as Veronica’s former paramour Duncan Kane in Hansen’s ridiculously bizarre detective series.
12. Chris Lowell as Chris Lowell
Lowell is one of the few alums returning to play a single character.
13. Ken Marino as Ken Marino
Likewise, Marino will only play himself and not sleazy private eye Vinnie Van Lowe.
14. Amanda Noret as Madison Sinclair
She’s only appearing in the show-within-a-show as Madison, rather than as a fictionalized version of herself. (Yes, this is getting super complicated.)
15. Lisa Thornhill as Celeste Kane
As is the case with Noret, Thornhill will play the prickly Celeste Kane in the show-within-a-show.
16. And there are two new faces as well!
Robert Buckley and Rose McIver, stars of Rob Thomas’ new series, iZombie, also guest star on Play It Again, Dick. Buckley plays flamboyant choreographer Gaston, who ends up replacing Jason Dohring as Logan Echolls in Hansen’s detective procedural, while McIver plays both “Skank With Attitude” and “Horny Mourner.”
The series will also feature Wesley Chan, Philip Wang, and Chris Dinh, as well as Mark Pedowitz, president of The CW, and Thom Sherman, The CW’s head of development.
18. Play It Again, Dick premieres the week of Sept. 15 on CW Seed.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.