Originally created in 1993 by Ty Inc., Beanie Babies have become major collector’s items. There’s never been a better time to invest!
2. Grab the latest issue of Mary Beth’s Bean Bag World
Published by Mary Beth Sobolewski, this is the Beanie Baby Bible. Look up prices and educate yourself before you start your quest.
3. Start shopping
A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.
4. You can even try on the World Wide Web!
It’s a great way to find rare Beanie Babies around the world.
5. Rare: The “Original Nine”
The original Beanie Babies were created before Beaniemania took off, so these babies are rare. A lot of people ripped the tags off (gasp!), not knowing how much money they would be worth. If you find one of these, hold onto it.
6. Rare: Princess Diana Commemorative Bear
Less than two months after the death of Princess Diana, Ty commissioned a commemorative bear to honor her. Princess the bear was only released for a limited time and all the proceeds Princess of Wales Memorial Fund, but it could be worth a bankload in ten years.
7. Rare: Garcia the Bear
This psychedelic bear was rumored to be a tribute to Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead, and even had the same birthday as him. The Garcia family filed a lawsuit, and Garcia was quickly retired. Very rare.
8. Rare: Quaker the Duck without wings
Only 700 wingless Quakers were created. It was a manufacturing error, but if you stumble upon one, it’d be an error not to snatch it.
9. BEWARE OF FAKES!
Posers will try to sell you counterfeit Beanie Babies. Do not fall for their tricks! Check the tush tag (the name should be in red, not orange), check for misspellings on the tag and above all, remember that if something is too good to be true, it probably is.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.