2. People told you you “sounded white.”
This is often coded as a compliment, i.e., so-and-so is “eloquent”/”articulate”/etc.
3. Or they called you an “oreo” and just thought they were sooo clever and original.
[For those who don’t know, an “Oreo” is someone who is “black on the outside, white on the inside.”]
4. This happened at every party you went to.
5. You had to deal with all of the hella bold people around you using the n-word.
9. “Why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria?”
You were just happy there were other kids who understand your angst. Meanwhile, no one gave them the side-eye for asking this question while they’re sitting at an all white table…
11. “She’s pretty — for a black girl.” / “He’s cute — for a black guy.”
12. “You look like [insert any black person here].”
13. There was that awkward moment in history class when you reached the topic of slavery and everyone turned to you:
17. Like jokes about fried chicken….which doesn’t even make any sense because LITERALLY EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER LIKES FRIED CHICKEN.
Just look at it. It’s beautiful.
18. You did your best to restrain yourself from strangling all the people that exaggeratedly snapped their neck your way.
19. It feels like you’ve met every variation of this person:
20. You also had to deal with all the super-angsty white liberals who felt like they had something to prove…
21. Everyone was perfectly comfortable sticking their fingers all up in your hair.
22. Doing makeovers at childhood sleepovers was always fun in a 50 Shades of Beige kind of way.
23. It sometimes felt like you were the only one who noticed things like this:
24. Some people seemed to have missed that basic lesson in not all humans look the same exact way…
25. When college acceptance letters came out, people started whispering…
(But also secretly feeling super angsty about it…and for good reason!)
26. But despite life sometimes feeling like some long absurd joke that no one told you about…
- Mullah Omar — leader of the Taliban — has died, according to multiple reports. The Taliban has not responded to the reports.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- Michel Platini, the current UEFA president, will be a candidate in the 2016 FIFA election to replace Sepp Blatter ⚽️